Questions about entering NAHERP data

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

DallasJolly123

Questions about entering NAHERP data

Post by DallasJolly123 »

I was planning on entering as much data as possible tonight until I realized coordinates are required. My apologies in advance if this has been gone over in another thread I missed, but to whom are these coords available after entering the record.
What if I don't have the coords?
DallasJolly123

Re: Questions about entering NAHERP data

Post by DallasJolly123 »

So.... not one of you can fill me in on entering data? That sucks!
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

Patience, Grasshopper. :lol:

The Lat/Long coordinates you enter into your records are visible only to you, unless you give someone else your password and access to your account. The coordinates will be available to anyone you release your data to in response to a data request.

Entering location data is probably the single most important bit of data you enter into a record. Just reporting that you found a certain species and recording only the state and county as the location of your find, isn't very valuable to anyone. Most all data requesters demand Lat/Long coordinates, so if your records don't have the data, the chance of them being used is very low.

If you don't have GPS coordinates for your records, you can use the map feature. When you open one of your existing records, click on the EDIT button at the top right of the page. When the edit page opens, you will see a "wrench tool" above the Latitude and Longitude field boxes on the page. Click on either of the wrench tools and it will open a map for you. Zoom in and out with your mouse and move the marker to the location on the map where you found your specimen. The software will automatically record the Lat/Long coordinates in the record for you.

When you're entering a record for the first time, the "wrench tools" are automatically visible above the Latitude and Longitude field boxes. Use this feature to place the marker on the location of your find.
DallasJolly123

Post by DallasJolly123 »

Steve Bledsoe, I thank you very much for that info. I just wanted to be sure of the availability of exact locations before I released that information on the web. Now this grasshoper is off to enter some records!

-Dallas
mattg

Post by mattg »

Thanks for entering data Dallas! Any questions fell free to PM me on here or email [email protected]

Matt Gruen
N.A.F.H.A.
CA Chapter
Vice President
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

DallasJolly123 wrote:Steve Bledsoe, I thank you very much for that info. I just wanted to be sure of the availability of exact locations before I released that information on the web. Now this grasshoper is off to enter some records!

-Dallas
If you're logged in and open one of your existing records, some of the data will display in blue type. This is the hidden data that only you can see. If you're not logged in and open one of your records, you can't see this data. The system works well.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

While we're at it (and this might interest Dallas, as well)... my daughter wanrs to give me her I-phone (she's upgrading)... it's on some unlimted family plan, where it won't cost me much... I told her if it would do the data entry app... i'd do it (#kicking&screaming)

Anybody got links for those apps handy?... never paid attention, as this will be my first phone with a camera & internet access... :shock: :crazyeyes:
chrish

Post by chrish »

hellihooks wrote:While we're at it (and this might interest Dallas, as well)... my daughter wanrs to give me her I-phone (she's upgrading)... it's on some unlimted family plan, where it won't cost me much... I told her if it would do the data entry app... i'd do it (#kicking&screaming)

Anybody got links for those apps handy?... never paid attention, as this will be my first phone with a camera & internet access... :shock: :crazyeyes:
Go to the app store and search for "Mobile Mapper".

Or follow this link since Don just updated it - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id670772103
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

thx... got it. get my phone next week...can't wait to try it
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

chrish wrote: Go to the app store and search for "Mobile Mapper".

Or follow this link since Don just updated it - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id670772103
Don't forget to link to the instructions for setting it up

http://www.naherp.com/app.php