Beginner herper: any advice?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

shanmei

Beginner herper: any advice?

Post by shanmei »

Hi all,

I'm a freshman at the University of Maryland. A friend of mine got me into herping over the summer, and I've had much luck herping salamanders in Shenandoah National Park. I've never been too interested in finding snakes, but we have no salamanders in this area because of the water quality... maybe northern two-lined, but I've had zero luck herping local streams and seepages.

I'm not able to leave campus or road cruise unless I'm home (rarely), as I don't have my car. I've been thinking about laying AC around some of the campus grounds or nearby trails. According to iNaturalist we have rough greensnakes and even kingsnakes around here... again, am yet to see anything. Any ideas or recommendations? I'm a very novice herper, and I'm not sure if it's rude to ask for advice or spots to herp, but any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Also, if anyone has any experience herping in the Maryland area in general, I'd love to chat. I'm originally from the Great Falls area, and have had terrific luck finding watersnakes, fence lizards, etc; but have struck out whenever I try looking for salamanders. I only have the one friend who herps, and am really lost on where to start.

Thanks in advance!
stlouisdude

Re: Beginner herper: any advice?

Post by stlouisdude »

No help for Maryland specifically but snakes are among the easiest animals to find once you recognize their habits. In much of the US, you can find snakes by looking under cover objects which are exposed to some sunlight (sometimes it works even if there is no sunlight, especially for smaller species). Cover objects can be wood or pieces of metal ( something the size of a roofing tin or plywood board is very good), flat rocks also work very well. So during spring, late summer, early fall I would look under those objects. If you put out an object to look under, make sure you have permission or it will likely be considered littering. You may also randomly encounter snakes while hiking, notice them in trees, notice them hiding in tree stumps, etc, but I find for most species looking under flat objects exposed to sun (old fields, the edge of treelines, etc) is ideal. If you see an old billboard missing planks of wood or an old barn missing part of its roof, that's likely a good spot to check. Abandoned campgrounds/roadside attractions, etc, are also likely places if they border good habitat, river systems that provide a corridor for travel, etc. I like to find places on the edge of significant blocks of habitat or connected to green corridors. Power line cuts through good habitat are also worth checking, especially up and down hills where lots of flat rocks may be found. Any rock crevices in those areas are worth checking if pitvipers exit in the area. I normally do this in summer. Also check rock crevices along roadsides in good habitat. I would not worry too much about equipment, a good pair of shoes, a camera to take photos with, and a jug of water is all you really need. Maybe bring a pair of gloves if you're going to touch anything rusty and try not to step on nails. Likewise, don't free handle any snake unless you're sure it's not dangerously venomous, remember when you see one snake that you often overlook the second one right next to it, and perhaps most importantly don't forget your water and to make sure you don't get lost if you wander off trail.