A few Northeast Herps

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

stlouisdude

A few Northeast Herps

Post by stlouisdude »

I've begun my spring hiking in Northeast USA. While not really looking for them, I tend to find a lot of barred owls while poking around wetlands and they are always a welcomed treat. The first salamander flipped of the year was a four toed salamander. I spent some time walking the mossy edges of a pond shore until I saw a spotted turtle. The owl included here was seen while looking for the turtles. I made my first search for blandings turtles this spring. The first one I found as it was leaving a vernal pool thanks to a tip from a fellow hiker that this was a good way to see them. The second was found comically with a painted turtles basking on top of it. Hope everyone is having a good spring.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grant220towne

Re: A few Northeast Herps

Post by grant220towne »

Cool stuff! I love the four-toed salamander the most.
stlouisdude

Re: A few Northeast Herps

Post by stlouisdude »

I went out again to have a look. Found a wood turtle leaving a stream and some spotted salamanders under a log at a small woodland pond.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.